View Single Post
Old 21-09-2018, 14:38   #2200
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Or you could look at it another way. Why not accept a VM deal to pay for their customers to access that content rather than allow them to record it for free?

Given that people will record programmes anyway, and provided you can only record (or should I say 'bookmark') the programmes from the EPG, I don't think that such an arrangement would affect audience figures for programmes repeated at a later date or uploaded to a streaming service. It's just a different way of recording, after all.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

There is. Instead of allowing people to record for free, charge Virgin to make the facility available. That is part of the monetisation you were referring to earlier.
Giving users the ability to record/bookmark to the cloud would, in the five year example, have huge negative implications for BBC/ITV etc. Right now I’d have to decide if something was in the top 500 hours (HD) of content I wish to retain. I’d also be committed to retaining that single STB, with it’s failure or if I choose to upgrade I would lose out.

If the cloud was set up with everyone sharing the same source recordings the amount a user could retain would be virtually infinite.

If a user could go back and say, rewatch the whole of Line of Duty or Broadchurch, in my view it’d impact on the resale rights by those production companies or the success of any future “Netflix style” operation they have planned.

If there was any reasonable chance of this launching here I believe we’d have it by now or be in very advanced development. Liberty already have nearly 2m STBs out there.