View Single Post
Old 18-11-2019, 17:50   #180
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: Election 2019 - Week 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
This Mirror article tends to disagree with you.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...closed-1844712

It is the jobs lost not the mines closed that is the important metric. You may have small mines that employ a small number of mines for example.

If you are claiming facts, it is very useful to cite your sources. I am afraid "Google is my source" is not good enough
Read my post again and look at the details, I was commenting on mines closed in the Rhondda. The picture in South Wales is probably not the same as other parts of the country, I spent some time researching closures in South Wales and quite a few closed for various reasons notably a lack of miners to run them. This was due to the availability of cleaner jobs such as Llanwern steelworks, Port Talbot and BP Llandarcy. Additionally some of the smaller mines had to close because they needed the miners for the larger mines due to the shortage of miners.

Here's the list of mines in the Rhondda with the closure dates, if you want to calculate who closed the most mines since WW2 go fill your boots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...hondda_Valleys

On a countrywide basis when I looked at figures a number of years ago for closures comparing the Conservative years (Thatcher/Heath) with Labour (Wilson/Callaghan) the number of mines closed and miners unemployed was a similar number.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...-mines-2401926

Quote:
ween 1963 and 1979, Labour governments closed a total of 303 collieries. Successive Conservative governments shut 162 mines. Even the left-of-centre Energy Minister, Tony Benn, recognised the economic argument and closed more coal mines than Margaret Thatcher and Michael Heseltine put together.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You can be sure any money saved from Brexit won't be heading to the Regions. It'll stay in the richest corner of the country. I'm afraid you've been misled. The EU was your safety net.
I haven't been mislead by anyone, recycled Westminster money has been coming to the area via the EU to be wasted on vanity projects.

You mean we wont have any more "once in a lifetime", "One-off" Objective one funding to lift us out of poverty for a fourth time.

Last edited by Escapee; 18-11-2019 at 17:55. Reason: Added WOL Link