View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 19:46   #52
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb
Re: Questions about Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwannabe
1) I assume a router splits a connection up?
2) The plan is to use a router to split it up for 4 computers... Is that a realistic value or is to high?.
3) We plan on getting rid of our dialup connections - is our service just discontinued without any physical involvements (ie phones lines cut? - stupid question most likely).
4) Do routers allow you to control the % of broadband speeds to be allocated? Say I want to use 50% and allow 15%, 15% and 20% to the other computers could I do that?.
5) How hard is it to configure one?
6) Anything else I might need to know?.
1) Yes
2) I have had a 4 port Linksys router for 2 years and just tonight used 4 gaming pc's for the first time without any ping problems or other problems.
3) I left AOL along time ago and they just stopped the dd's per month and stopped my service.
4) No idea, never looked into that personally. Using 4 comps now and I cant see any slowdown on my comp.
5) Very easy. Bear in mind I use ethernet with WinXP - it was all plug and play.
6) I have the Linksys BEFSR41 router and the option I like is DMZ. (it allows one comp on the network to have full access to the net without the NAT butting in) - this is helpful when you want to set up a server for games or teamspeak.

Hope this helps...