View Single Post
Old 29-03-2005, 14:09   #4
goblin
Inactive

goblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nice
Re: Wireless Networking... help!

Hi,

Time for me to resurect this old topic. Thanks to those that replied, sorry I didn't manage to get back to it sooner.

I need further advice, as I am receiving conflicting opinions on whether this linksys WRT54G is the most suitable router for my needs.

What I wish to do with my wireless network is the following. I need to connect my laptop when in another room, but I would like to be able to connect back and be able to control my desktop. I would also like to be able to invite a friend to either play alongside or against me on the laptop, whilst he\she shall be on the desktop. At a later date, I wish to add items such as an xbox (for use as a PVR ie: mythtv) to the network as well as a PS2 and Gamecube from time to time. Also, if I am sharing my connection with someone on the desktop and they are downloading, I would like the ability to limit how much bandwidth they use without it impinging upon what I am doing. As well as provide me a stable, secure network (an inbuilt firewall would be an advantage I suppose?). And finally, I wish to retain the ability to change to ADSL should it be required.

With all this in mind. I phoned various suppliers and sought their advice and received replies that I don't need a Linksys WRT54G, Oh no... I need either a Belkin F5D7230, D-Link DI-624, Belkin F5D7231uk4, or a Netgear FWG114P apparantly?!

It would seem that the Linksys WRT54G is known to be "a poor performer", "unreliable", "unstable when used on NTL", "requires constant rebooting" etc etc. All of that said, after reading posts on these forums amongst others, it would seem that most routers are unreliable etc.

My questions therefore are:

a)Am I expecting too much from this router?

b)Which other router is likely to match my needs if not the Linksys WRT54G?

c)Is there a router manufactured that is known to be robust, easy to install and use etc?

Help!

Thank you!
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote