Thread: General Virgin TV (2024)
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2024, 01:52   #204
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Virgin TV (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
I would expect OFCOM to allow them to ditch local content to an absolute minimum - just like ITV1 has now.
Local TV does not work in UK - except maybe London.
When stations licensed to produce local content don't want to produce local content, the licence is frustrated and they should be closed. Networking content is a waste of space. Assuming that Ofcom wishes to keep the local multiplexes, the space saved by removing the local channel could be used to add 2 or more extra "national" channels to the stat-mux.

The ITV situation is a bit different, they still have to produce a quota of local news / content and work within that quota. Going forward, ITV will be allowed to move some of the local content from ITV 1 to ITVX. ITV already makes local news bulletins available on ITVX, determined by postcode, with the ability to also watch bulletins from any other ITV region.

---------- Post added at 01:52 ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
At least I have the option to watch English channels when BBC or itv do local programs. Which are in my view are boring , and amateurish . They can't even sort out having two weather forecasts , one straight after the other .
The perceived quality will depend on the variety of content available. Largely urban regions with a lot of things happening will have more to bulk out their reports than more rural, sparsely populated regions. It's the same reason that national news in Ireland often seems more like a local news broadcast.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote