View Single Post
Old 14-02-2024, 23:47   #809
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Transmitter faults were a thing back in the good old days Things were also more likely to go wrong at the play out suite back in the day as well. It’s exceptionally rare these days but the card with ‘TEMPORARY FAULT’ broadcast with easy-listening muzak was far from uncommon on our screens.
True and even in more recent history, I couldn't receive Ch5 very well down an aerial. It was either get it via cable or sat.

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Interesting! Particularly the stat about 31% of 65+ age range not using the Internet at home. To me, the main benefit of an Internet TV service is dispensing with the need for another cable so that TVs just need to be located near a power socket.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/end-of-fre...ing-to-report/
To put it crudely, they'll all die off and that problem will then resolve itself, although for those poorer, there would need to be some benefits package to subsidise a broadband connection.

And talking of getting rid of cables, I came across a gadget I had never heard of before, a wireless HDMI transmitter. That solves the issue of using one STB on multiple tvs, as but one use of it.