Thread: Pronouns
View Single Post
Old 18-08-2022, 12:12   #38
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Pronouns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Not in my vocabulary.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nothing in that website suggests these terms “already exist.” And by already exist I’m looking for more than the pet project of a tiny subculture. There is no evidence of provenance, just a lot of manufactured grammar and a huge amount of waffle about how to deal with the social faux pas that inevitably arise in situations where its use is normalised.

The idea that it is somehow ignorant or hateful to use language that the entire human race has developed over millennia is absurd. If an individual looks in the mirror and chooses to see there something other than what their biology immutably says they are, then that’s their business. But their right to their self image doesn’t impinge on my right to behave in a perfectly normal human manner and assume someone is he or she - and let’s face it, out in the real world in the overwhelming majority of cases it is crystal clear which is which. The idea that it ought to be normal for people to provide their pronouns when introducing themselves is likewise absurd, and simply demonstrates just how pernicious the social media echo chamber has become.
Will the Oxford English Dictionary suffice?

https://public.oed.com/updates/new-w...st-march-2019/

Quote:
zir, pron.: “Used as a gender-neutral third person singular objective pronoun, corresponding to the subjective pronoun ze (see ze pron.). Cf. zir adj.”
zir, adj.: “Used as a gender-neutral possessive adjective (determiner), corresponding to the subjective pronoun ze (ze pron.). Cf. zir pron.”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote