View Single Post
Old 25-03-2022, 11:12   #574
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Still nothing like enough. A typical petrol station has 8 to 16 pumps and you can fill up in 5 minutes. And then you can drive twice as far until you need to fill again.

Is a national network of overhead power is the solution? Think trams or dodgem cars.
The difference is that you can’t top up your petrol tank at home. Notwithstanding issues around high density urban housing areas where home charging is presently difficult, the future of motoring is one in which people generally go out in the morning with a full charge. It may take up to 40 minutes to charge from empty but most people aren’t going to arrive at the charger empty.

My current mileage amounts to around 200 a week which is well within the range of a decent sized electric family car. Even if I couldn’t charge at home, within the course of a normal week my car would very easily sit idly somewhere it could take advantage of a rapid charger without inconveniencing my schedule at all.

All of this requires drivers to think differently about how they plan fuel stops for their cars but that different approach does not need to be onerous.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote