View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 09:12   #387
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

From the ESPN… thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
BT plan to complete their rollout by 2026 and Virgin by 2028. As far as remotest communities are concerned, they could all be covered by satellite broadband, but I’m unsure whether there are any plans for that.
Yes the commercially viable rollout - this is significantly less than national coverage provided by the current broadcast methods.

Quote:
The remotest communities didn’t even get hooked up to the electricity until relatively recently, and some may still not have an electricity supply. I don’t see why the absence of broadband in these areas would prevent streaming only services to become widespread, as buckeye said, and so I remain of the view that Premiere League sports will be streamed only before many people think.
Streaming services are already “widespread” OB - nobody is disputing that they can or they will. The only dogmatic point anyone holds is that you have that linear must end.

A few hundred thousand homes would be a critical mass from which it would still be viable for Sky, BT or anyone else to maintain a linear presence of key content.

Quote:
The only question is which streaming services will they be? Clearly, Amazon and DAZN are already committed. Disney and Discovery are also hot contenders.
And Sky also stream, I fail to see why that gets discounted almost every time you consider a who’s who of broadcasting. You seem to view streaming as distinct from the television market as a whole which I’ve reminded you on a number of occasions it isn’t. The vast, vast majority of viewers use all the tools at their disposal (streaming, linear, recording) to enjoy TV.

Clearly DAZN are committed to linear broadcasting if they are weighing in to the tune of billions.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote