View Single Post
Old 28-09-2021, 08:47   #36
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Labour Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
What they simply don't understand is that there can't be a one salary fitting all situations. What is suitable for a 16-year-old living with their parents, is not suitable for a married person with half a dozen kids. That gap can only be covered by the benefits system or as it was in the past, by the tax system(adjusting their tax code). No way around that.
I think you're getting a bit over-excited about something that's dead and buried. No large political party is advocating a £15ph minimum wage.

---------- Post added at 08:47 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
£15 an hour, on what planet ?

Its like the old nonsense of the average uk salery being £29,600.
No one in my family (except me) earns anywhere near that per year.

I always like the example given to me.
In a room of 10 people, the average monthly pay was £1,450.
So they were all paid quite well, right ?
Wrong ... 9 were paid just £500 a month, the other got £10,000.
Averages are pretty meaningless.

A minimum so high would would drive many out of business, as they could never afford it.
The rest would have to raise prices to the point where people could not afford them any more.
A room of 10 people means that the average is liable to distortion by one person. But if it's a room of 20m people then it's far more accurate.

I'm sure a few stats bods will leap in with explanations of standard deviation, mean, median and mode if requested!
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote