View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 22:33   #2303
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'm totally realistic and far from idealistic. The Brexit situation is far from ideal. But the way I'd play it (admittedly sat at my office chair at home) is to squeeze Ireland. The threat of scrapping the NI Protocol is a threat to the Irish economy, something they dread more than anything else (perhaps other than having to put corporation tax up!). It's then a blinking game.

I want my Guvmin to play this right by not allowing th NI Protocol to stand in its present form.
If you're being realistic and not idealistic, what can we offer to Ireland in return for them agreeing to a worse Northern Ireland Protocol? They've got the EU behind them. The EU can make things difficult for our exporters to the Continent if Ireland felt we were acting in a perfidious manner.

Realistically, what cards do we honestly hold that we've not played yet?

Last edited by 1andrew1; 03-09-2021 at 22:38.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote