View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 20:36   #2299
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You need to do some more research before criticising other people’s posts, Andrew. The main difference between Boris Johnson’s deal and Theresa May’s was that he abolished the backstop. And this is what he said of the Theresa May deal:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/ar...ys-brexit-deal

He proceeded because it was the only way of getting Brexit done by the end of the year. I have not misremembered. Look at his tweet in that link.

‘I have been and remain intensely critical of the deal. But we have a choice to make now, and that means choosing between options that actually exist. I have come to the sad conclusion that neither this government nor this parliament is willing to leave with no deal.’

And I have not forgotten the technical issues either. We can overcome this problem, but the will needs to be there on the EU side. In the meantime, we could have a straight forward and secure system of packaging and labelling which would overcome the questions relating to the transitional period.
That's all very interesting but 100% irrelevant. You constructed an entire argument around your misplaced belief that Johnson had criticised his own Brexit deal whereas he criticised May's. Seph acknowledged that Johnson had not criticised his own deal at the time as well and I even provided a link to the Br'Express article reporting his announcement of the deal.

The transitional period is over Old Boy. We left the Single Market and from 1st October we will be inspecting EU imports.

What technical issues does your suggestion of labelling provide, and what labelling do you mean given that goods are labelled and now require extensive documentation when being exported to the EU?

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Not at all. People wanted out of the EU and expected glitches and gremlins in the early months/years.

That some of the more stupid sales pitches didn't come to fruition has nothing to do with the wish to be out. People aren't that stupid as to believe the hype.

It was originally gritches and gremlins in the early days and weeks. Now it's become months and even years! When will it become decades and centuries?
You seem to be a tad unhappy about the Irish situation though, and a tad idealistic in expecting a country backed by the large EU bloc to give in to the UK.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote