Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 19:26   #6916
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

( 10th August)
I realise that members may have seen reports that " a number of leading scientists in the fight against coronavirus are giving evidence to MPs around vaccines and the future of the pandemic.
Experts will be speaking to politicians in the All-Party Parliamentary Group on coronavirus during an evidence session today. "

The Manchester Evening News has been giving a running summary of what has been said so I am posting a link as there have been several interesting points covered. For those who want a brief idea of some of the main points .......
Quote:
Seven things we learned from leading Covid scientists today - from 'mythical' herd immunity to 'inevitable' vaccine-escaping variants
Herd immunity is 'not a possibility' with the Delta variant, while new variants that can escape the protection of a vaccine are 'inevitable', leading scientists have told MPs today.

A number of the UK's leading experts gave evidence to members of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Coronavirus about vaccines and the future of the pandemic.

Professor Sir Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, said the idea of her immunity was 'mythical' as he warned that 'anyone who’s still unvaccinated, at some point, will meet the virus'.

The group also heard from Professor Paul Hunter, from the University of East Anglia, who said it was 'absolutely inevitable' new variants that can escape the protection of the vaccine will emerge in the future.

He predicted that seasonal coronaviruses will infect people repeatedly - on average every four or five years.

Scientists also encouraged the government to focus additional effort on assisting with the pandemic overseas.

Some suggested that excess vaccine supplies should be sent abroad before they are considered for use in a booster programme in the UK.

While there were warnings that the UK faced a 'bumpy' period through winter, Prof Pollard suggested that the next six months will see a period of 'increasing confidence' as people learn how to live with Covid-19 post-lockdown.
Actual figures that have been supplied, and other topics can be read in the full article.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...id-19-21271745