Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2021, 09:50   #6866
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I find it amusing that you back the scientists to the hilt when they appear to be at odds with the government, but then you trash them when it suits you.

Why are you always just spoiling for an argument? It’s impossible to have a sensible discussion with you.
Well I’m sure you’d agree that science has offered many differing contradictory opinions - it’s impossible to agree with them all. However what is a realistic position to take when considering credibility is who is funding them, why and what other countries leading scientists do. The FDA are expected to shortly announce vaccines for those aged 5-12 whereas we are announcing plans for mass infections to supplement vaccine induced immunity.

As I’ve said before I don’t do British exceptionalism. If other countries are reintroducing masks and maintaining measures with higher coverage of greater efficacy vaccines then I’d bet against us being exceptional every single time.

Quote:
I think jfman’s emergency provisions including his year-long supply of loo rolls might have been a slight over-reaction.

Now I must get back to organising our grand Christmas party - with no masks in sight and an abundance of hugs!!
As ever with the personal remarks and digs. I think you’ll find rarely (if ever) do I refer to my personal perspective instead I consider the pandemic at a population level.

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I thought we were going into lockdown in September...
It remains the emergency brake. If, and when, it’s deployed depends on a large number of factors.

I’ve linked in recent days to articles with night club owners bemoaning having to cancel events and the evidence suggesting no mass return to offices. Personal responsibility has people self selecting their way out of the economy and Old Boy’s wet dream of a return to a 2019 economy is nowhere to be seen. Schools closing appears to have offered some breathing space in the system. But that won’t last forever.

Last edited by jfman; 06-08-2021 at 10:02.