Thread: British culture
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2021, 13:43   #1
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
British culture

The ESL thread got into debate about football being part of British culture. This post in that thread sums up where we got to.

For the purposes of this thread, it doesn't matter whether or not football is part of British culture (I certainly think it's part of our heritage). My main motive for starting this thread is to discuss the proposition that our culture will be submerged by others over time.

Some of this debate may turn on "culture" vs "heritage". Some of this debate may turn on diversity and whether or not that dilutes our culture.

In the linked thread, Chris wrote (my emphasis):

Quote:
It's great that the Spurs season ticket passes down your family, but it's not so great that with such an obvious cultural artefact right under your nose you still can't see it.
There we have it. "Culture" vs "heritage". Something that passes down the family is definitely in the "heritage" class, 'right under my nose' which I can't see!

My main contention is that our culture is under threat from other cultures, particularly any that are intransigent and antithetic to the Judeo-Christian element of our culture.

Incidentally, it may be interesting to boil British culture down to a common denominator. I've mentioned Judeo-Christian which could be argued taking atheism into account. In a liberal society, culture evolves with experience and possibly brainwashing (see woke-ism for details); I doubt that's the case with certain other cultures.

So what do you all think?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote