Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2021, 11:37   #4212
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I wasn't referring to the EU specifically but it stands to reason that if anyone could manufacture any of the vaccines it would ramp up production.

While there would be some scope for unscrupulous profiteering in the short term as supply ramped up to meet demand this would be limited.

My only point was that limiting who can (and where) a vaccine can be manufactured creates supply side blocks. Even when the UK, EU and USA have all been vaccinated we are some considerable distance from the "entire planet" being vaccinated which was the point I was addressing about delays in the French under 55s being vaccinated.
Many countries do produce vaccines. Where is your evidence that anybody is being blocked from using any IP?
The EU has set up new sites and expanded existing ones. Their problem is they left it too late and/or are for vaccines not yet approved.
The world's third biggest vaccine maker, Sanofi of France, came up with duds. That will have delayed EU production massively. That was the "luck of the draw". AZ vaccine might have turned out to be a dud, as with Pfizer, Moderna, etc.