View Single Post
Old 28-02-2021, 00:22   #513
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What are your thoughts, Andrew? I know you will try your best to be impartial...

From my English perspective, this is the deal that the UK government signed up to. We should obviously honour it, and continue with construction. Red tape increases this March and April so we need the facilities built and the bureaucrats recruited to minimise delays between GB and NI.

But I don't live in NI and it might be politically savvy to slow construction down if the climate is not condusive.

Unfortunately, all your predictions about uninvented technologies solving the Irish border situation never came to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It could go either way, OB.

One version, based on past form (recent) might be: If we don't want to abide by a legally binding treaty, we shouldn't have signed it".

Of course, if that's what Andrew replies, he's quite right. We shouldn't have signed that treaty/deal and we should simply have left the EU,

Good call.

Leaving the EU without an NI agreement in place? This would have breached the Good Friday Agreement. WTO membership by the EU and UK would require have required a treaty-breaching hard border on the island of Ireland.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 28-02-2021 at 00:29.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote