Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2020, 19:34   #355
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
You've answered your own question. Looking at pure statistics can give a skewed view. 4x bugger all is still bugger all.

I read that report and I couldn't really work out what it saying. This other FoI statement from the ONS for 1 month only advises that 90% of victims had underlying pre-conditions.

Anyway, the point was, going back to the original issue was that the whole population will not need to be vaccinated only the vulnerable and at risk groups, same as for flu.
Ah, fair enough, if you get the Excel data linked in the report, this is the death rate of COVID vs. the 5 year average for influenza per 100,000

Under 65 3.6x
65-69 4.1x
70-74 3.8x
75-79 3.6x
80-84 3x
85+ 1.7x

I picked the 5 year average as 2020 is quite a mild influenza year. This does suggest that COVID is deadlier than flu.

'Bugger all' might be a bit of a stretch for under 65s. A death rate of 16.4 per 100,000 is 5093 deaths. That is 5093 individual tragedies.

I do agree with your point though - the most vulnerable should definitely be the first ones to get the vaccine alongside health and care workers to prevent spread the the vulnerable who have not yet had the vaccine or the vaccine didn't take.

Hopefully any vaccine will be effective. If the rates of acquired immunity are low, more people will need to vaccinated eventually to get a herd protection