View Single Post
Old 20-08-2020, 00:11   #3149
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

There's a lengthy article in the FT about this subject. Google "London’s ‘complacency’ puts Scottish independence back in play" if you wish to read it.

Points include:
- The threat was spelt out by Michael Gove on July 21 and the penny has now dropped in the Conservative Party.
- The move towards separation is being driven by Brexit’s unpopularity (62% voted Remain in Scotland) and the belief that Edinburgh has responded better to Covid-19 than London. Other factors encouraging it are the House of Lords unpopularity, the Conservative Party's unpoularity and as JFMan has said, a lack of a convincing narrative for remaining in the Union to meet the emotional arguments head on.
- The most recent survey, conducted by YouGov, this month found that Scottish voters willing to express an opinion would support independence by 53% to 47% per cent - the first time the Yes side has been consistently ahead in a series of opinion polls conducted months apart.
- Boris Johnson vetoed Michael Gove’s suggestion that Nicola Sturgeon be invited to atted cabinet meetings on special occasions as part of a suggested strategy to to work more harmoniously with Edinburgh.
- Michael Gove's strategy has led to UK government ministers visiting Scotland but few ministers have any popularity there with Rishi Sunak being a notable exception.
https://www.ft.com/content/2420501f-...5-46e56d325547

As one Scottish-based FT reader commented
Quote:
NordicStyle I was pro-Union in 2014 but now I would vote for independence - Brexit and the arrogance of the English as well as their ignorance around the EU has pushed me strongly in favour of independence. [If] The UK is allegedly stronger together, then should that logic not also apply to the UK within the EU? The UK had a uniquely favourable position within the EU - all the intra free trade benefits as well as personal mobility freedoms whilst At the same time having a uniquely large rebate/freedom from the Euro/non-schengen status/and not being required to adopt EU working restrictions. We had our cake and we could eat it.

The UK was attractive to invest in precisely because we had this special structure of exceptions whilst also having the privileges of being within the EU. Thatcher understood that and leveraged that edge with many - notably the Japanese. Having given this all up Scotland has the opportunity to go the Nordic route and re-access the advantages of the EU whilst retaining its own identity and flexibility.

I want independence so that I and my family can rejoin the larger union (the EU) that looks after our Freedoms/our economy/our mobility/and our position in the world vs The likes of China and the US. Sure the EU is not perfect but that can improve and change - prefer those challenges than being a prisoner in a dwindling society with an over rated view of its self importance

Bring it on - I want to be in the single market Rather than in a singular society

Last edited by 1andrew1; 20-08-2020 at 00:20.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote