View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 17:11   #9776
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
We all have niche interests, whether it's sport, hobbies, drama, etc.

If you only buy the things you want your niche interests won't likely get enough money to exist. Niche things get subsidised by popular things by doing thing like bundling. Everyone loses out, even if it's indirectly.

In the world of TV we could all end up with mainstream, safe shows (or big popular sports only) because those that want to bring you the niche, interesting stuff (e.g. minority sports) can't raise the money to do it as the market is deemed too small. Everyone needs to fund stuff they don't want to help fund stuff they do want.

Someone might like football and show jumping (unlikely, but bear with me). Both might be expensive to cover, but clearly football is much more popular. If the market changed so much that the public need only pay for individual sports (e.g. football) rather than a general sports package, the equestrian element may no longer be viable as a televised sport as it is no longer cross subsidised by the likes of football that brings the subscribers.
I understand the principle, cheeky, but if anyone wants to view content with minority appeal, they should jolly well pay extra for it. There are relatively few channels I watch these days and I resent paying for a plethora of rubbish channels like Blaze, and the sports channels that I never watch.

At least with streaming services, you can tailor the type of viewing you may be interested in.

If you look at Now TV, for example, you can have just the main entertainment channels, just the films or just the sports. That's how it should be.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote