View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 16:37   #12
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Gaming PC advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
Absolutely brilliant, thank you so much. What GPU would you recommend? I can Google all day but nothing beatrs personal recommendations.
Sorry, I didn't see this reply earlier.

GPU's are somewhat subjective, but the lay of the land has not changed much in recent years - Nvidia has the fastest stuff out there, but it comes at a premium and AMD competes on price. There are fanboys on both sides, my own personal preference is nvidia for sheer horsepower but I've ran AMD GPUs for years without issues. When I built my son's PC and one of my partner's (just this week), I put an AMD card in them as they're good value for money and neither of those people are particularly demanding.

So, where does that leave you? It depends (ha). Are you going to be going above 1080p any time soon? Do you have a 1440p monitor, or even 4K? What about refresh rate? Are you using a 144hz monitor, or sticking with 60hz?

Basically if you're aiming for 4k, you'll want to spend the extra on a very high-end card and it'll almost certainly be nvidia. If you're using 1440p at 120hz or greater, you'll want mid/high-to-high end card.

IF you're sticking to 1080p, even going above 60hz, well then you've got a lot of options.

So anyway, if you have the money to spare then the RTX 2080 Ti is the top pick, but at a grand it's not usually most people's first options. Make no mistake, 4k gaming needs something near this price range.

4K With bells and whistles attached: RTX 2080Ti (~£1,000).

There's no AMD alternative here.

If you're more around the 1440p mark, then the RTX 2070 Super is more in your ballpark (~£500). This will do some 4k at lower settings, but it's basically the 1440p card of choice, especially if you're going above 60FPS. RTX means you can do some decent ray-tracing stuff as well, which is going to become a big deal soon enough.

If you're at 1080p and sticking to that for the foreseeable future, then you've got more options to play with. The RTX 2060 is a solid 1080p card )~(£300) with the RTX features baked in, for a little ray-tracing goodness (though don't get too excited as your card will struggle with something line Minecraft RTX - but the subtle effects like with Battlefield V should be doable).

A halfway between the 2070 and the 2060 is the AMD RX 5700 (~£350). If we price £/frame, the RX 5700 is better value than both, but it only just about serves as a 1440p card, making it absolutely a solid 1080p choice with extra legroom for down the line, but you won't get your ray-tracing.

As we get into real budget territory, the 1660 Super can be had for £220. This is basically a 2060 without the RTX component, which isn't going to get that much use anyway so if you are going to spend ~£300 mark I'd consider going for the 5700 for the extra oomph, or dropping down to the 1660.

IF you really really want to save money, then an RX 590 will still do 1080p gaming extremely well for ~(£180).

I wouldn't go anywhere below that, though, not for a new machine and definitely not for the newer assassin's creed games.

If it was me, if I was about to fork out for a new graphics card today, I'd probably aim for the 2070 Super. It has some RTX goodness, it's pretty beefy and it'll run anything out there at 1440p no problem. Should last a good few years.

If you're not in a particular rush, there's new cards from both AMD and Nvidia due in September. Now they release new cards all the time, usually iterations on the current crop, but this year both are launching brand new architectures and the rumour is that AMD will actually be able to compete with Nvidia at the high end again - ultimately meaning the current cards will hopefully get much cheaper and the newer cards won't be commanding £1500+ again

But that's all rumour and even if there's a launch in September, I wouldn't expect to get stock before ~November time. But hey, you could build your new PC now and stick with your current graphics card until then. That's the beauty of PC gaming!
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote