View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 09:29   #28
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
So starting at home doesn't work for you? So lets just forget self responsibility shall we. If we don't educate our families as a start how can it begin?

I'll also remind you that children are not born racist,they are taught to be so..if we educate the young to avoid it then it becomes easier to face it down in the playground,the street,the borough,the town,the city. If it was a subject that white people weren't afraid to confront in the past perhaps we would be at a stage where we didn't need to be confronting it now.

I have never forgotten the conversation I had in a London Primary school playground in 1959. Asked where I had come from I innocently answered Nigeria. The next question was "Why aren't you black then?" Ignorance is something to be educated against..as that idiot found out.
Black communities live in the worst areas for resources and education..that's what needs addressing.
I didn’t say it didn’t work for me, I said it’d be unlikely to succeed. Unfortunately many of these things are entrenched in generations, even before I was born. Political parties, across the world, enjoy “othering” as a cheap way to appeal to the majority of the population by arousing suspicion against minorities and appealing to cheap, often evidence lacking, stereotypes.

In the absence of it succeeding all you can do is hope that over time future generations become enlightened. The same way the societal norms of the 1800s, 1900s and 2000s are vastly different on a range of issues e.g. religion, role of women, sexuality, gender, etc. You are unlikely to convince someone who became an entrenched racist in the 1960s that all their lives they’ve been wrong. Their entire mindset is driven by the idea that minorities either shouldn’t be here or should be grateful that they are and not complain about it.

Last edited by jfman; 07-06-2020 at 09:35.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote