View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 18:02   #7659
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
While Netflix (and others) are enjoying the financial consequences of a third of the planet generally staying indoors I stumbled across this article that I think sums up a lot of the streaming industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...business-model
And are you suggesting that Netflix is like Deliveroo? What is your view?

Takeaways tend to be expensive, so if there is a economic downturn, yes this could hurt Deliveroo. But Netflix is cheaper and besides, if people can't afford to go out, have takeaways etc, I suggest to you that this would be good for Netflix and the other streamers. People have got to have some pleasures in life.

The other point I'd make is that regardless of the virus and its after effects, Netflix has created a systemic change in the media industry forever. Which as I keep saying, is why Murdoch sold out, as he knew he could not compete in the new streaming age with gigantic tech giants with deep pockets.