View Single Post
Old 29-04-2020, 12:08   #2769
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Rachel seems to contradict herself and is not entirely accurate in her portrayal of this issue.

However, I just want to highlight two points in particular, as most of this has been done to death already.

Surely, this is the point - you cannot shield the vulnerable - or the rest of the population, for that matter, from this virus. So the lockdown is not eliminating the deaths, it's just slowing down the infection rate. If you locked everyone away so it couldn't get to them, the virus would simply start spreading again as soon as you unlock the doors again, because the virus is out there and people from abroad will keep bringing it in. Only herd immunity or a vaccine is able to thwart it.

It would be bad enough if we managed to deliver a vaccine by September, but it is unlikely that this would be mass produced and given to all the population by the end of the year. That is the best case scenario.

People are already sick and tired of the lockdown and starting to breach it in greater numbers, and we are only in week 5! I cannot understand how people can seriously believe that this lockdown can be sustained until the end of the year, let alone another 18 months, if this is how long it takes to get a new vaccine. I can tell you that the government is not going to be funding 80% of salaries for much longer, and businesses need to get back on their feet pretty quickly or they will collapse, taking all those jobs with them.

No, people have had enough, and that means we have to get to some semblance of normality quickly. Sadly, yes, that will mean more deaths. But which is the less of two evils, and is it really in our gift to control this thing? Waiting in lockdown or partial lockdown for 6-18 months is not at all sustainable.

Incidentally, I have heard many older people say that they are not prepared to spend their final years in lockdown, and they will not comply with these rules beyond the 12-week period. If that's what older people think, how will you control the younger ones? I can tell you, you won't, and this is one good reason why this country needs to relax these restrictions as soon as possible, despite the death toll.

Some may argue that, but I think what those of us who are trying to put this into perspective have been arguing is that the death figures are not all that exceptional, in that you can get something like up to 40,000 flu deaths in a year and people barely notice this. Yet look at the news each night and the figures are sensationalised to the point that some more highly strung people have been terrified by this. But we have only just reached these kind of numbers and the figures are now declining.

The five year average for the number of deaths in the UK have been exceeded now, it is true, but not by a particularly large number - 184,950 in 2020 compared with 174,718 over the same period on average over the last five years. Does the BBC announce these figures throughout the year and agonise over these deaths? No, they don't, and people scarcely notice as a result. The media is scare-mongering big time, and while it is sad that anyone has to die, most of us know that you cannot control nature as some would claim.

The power of human beings to control everything is limited and we need to come to terms with that. We have to ask ourselves whether the ruination of our economy is worth the relatively small impact we can make on the continuing progression of this virus before a vaccine can be found.
Flu season is October to March (6 months), and Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19 - so far nearly 22,000 (and possibly twice that figure) have died in under 2 months from COVID-19.

That’s the perspective I take from this.

Also, you are being selective with your statistics - the average deaths for this time of year have increased.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-51979654[
Quote:
It shows in the week ending 3 April there were 16,000 deaths - 6,000 more than could be expected at this time of the year when the number of deaths normally starts to fall with winter over.

This is the highest death number since these figures were first published in 2005, more than the previous peak seen during the bad flu outbreak of 2015.

Not all these extra deaths were down to coronavirus, but a significant number were.
Latest stats from ONS
Quote:
The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 17 April 2020 (Week 16) was 22,351; this represents an increase of 3,835 deaths registered compared with the previous week (Week 15) and 11,854 more than the five-year average; this is the highest weekly total recorded since comparable figures begin in 1993.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 29-04-2020 at 13:24.