View Single Post
Old 30-03-2020, 18:25   #1550
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't believe that estimate for one minute. We are likely to experience the peak in two to three weeks, so how people can believe that kind of figure amazes me. There are only 35,000 deaths worldwide at this point, so it's worth getting this in proportion.
I’m not asking you to believe the estimate, I’m telling you that it came from Imperial College London and the message was so forcefully received it provoked a u-turn on “herd immunity”.

The current death total is based on people who likely contracted the virus 3 to 4 weeks ago when the numbers who had the virus were far lower. As you can see it’s had exponential growth in many counties since then in terms of those tested so we will likely see the same with the death rates, if not more so as medical services throughout the world become further stretched.

We are only likely to experience a peak in 2-3 weeks (optimistically) because we have implemented the most extreme measures seen in this country to restrict movement. Not because the virus is being exaggerated.

Had we not taken any action it’d be people dying in the corridors in hospitals.

Last edited by jfman; 30-03-2020 at 18:29.