View Single Post
Old 28-12-2019, 13:54   #1263
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
But there won't be dozens, there aren't dozens now, not out of the big film/tv streamers. There will be a top tier of three or four "must have" streamers that most people will pay for and then a lower tier of "optional" streamers that people may pay for sometimes.

I'm pretty sure Disney and Netflix will in that top tier, it's just a case of seeing who will join them at the top table.

As Disney has already said that the price of Disney+ is only introductory, I would expect all the streamers to raise their prices in "true" pay tv fashion eventuality. As you yourself have said, the new streaming world doesn't automatically mean everything will be cheaper, it could get a lot pricier.

On your second paragraph, this is why Netflix has had to spend so heavily, to create a programming library from scratch. Disney et all have the inherent advantage in that they don't need to create a new series every five minutes due to the enormous archives they posses. Even if films/tv shows are 30 years old, they will be "new" to someone and some things (like people) age better than others.

And as we've seen in the States, guaranteeing "some" revenues is the reason some platforms and content companies have come together and I expect that process to continue.

As for space in the UK market, depends what the market looks like. Possibly the licence fee may not be compulsory soon, so that would be a game changer... and I've already expressed a view in other threads about how I see the platforms changing in the future, ie by merging.

I do think there is space in the market for two Netflix's, in fact at least three or four, but not three or four big streamers AND a pay tv package AND paying for the licence fee too.

Which is why I still believe the bulk of the pay tv channels will disappear over the next ten years and the streamers will in effect take their place with Sky/VM/BT bundling them as they do with channels now.
The general feeling seems to be that people watching streams dip in and out of subscribing on a regular basis.

This argument flies in the face of 'a must have' streamer - this would suggest you have them as a base and add others for limited time periods.

This means £30pm for your base and a number of others at £5-7pm each - starts getting expensive without ever guaranteeing you can see what you want.