View Single Post
Old 16-12-2019, 12:47   #1962
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't have to, because once again (sigh) I have to remind you that we will still be trading with the EU after Brexit, so much, if not all of that 44% of exports will still exist. To read your posts, anyone would think that we were shutting up shop altogether with the EU, which is just ludicrous and fanciful. If the economists have been making the same assumptions as you have, no wonder their forecasts are pessimistic!

Obviously, the more powerful the country, the more clout they have, but we are one of the world's largest economies, a fact you dismiss as though it had no importance. You also imply that the UK would accept a trade deal that would be bad for us. Why would we do that?

I knew you were a pessimist, Hugh, but now I'm beginning to worry about you!

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Strength comes into it, but it's about satisfying mutual interests.

We are pretty strong actually.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Nail on head! A 'level playing field' should only be about meeting EU specifications relating to standards.

Equality of employment laws, etc, should not apply to us once we are out of the prison that is the EU.
In ranking, yes - in comparison to the EU, China, and the USA, no.

As I stated previously, we are 1/7th of the GDP of the EU, around 1/6th of the USA, and 1/8th of China - recently, China and the USA have not been shy to use tariffs to show their trading power, so why do we think we would be exempt from this?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.