View Single Post
Old 16-12-2019, 10:30   #1957
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Got some bad news about GPDR, it probably isn't going away - http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedP...nical_Note.pdf

GPDR is a pain but it is all about protecting our personal data. It's actually a huge benefit for multinational companies as there was a hodgepodge of different regulations across Europe before which made offshoring data a real pain. For example, my companies HR data was backed up in the US apart from data from Belgium and Germany. GPDR and the 'Adequacy framework' in GPDR let all data be centralised.

I understand that there is a burden for small business. However, how do you decide what small businesses, if any should GPDR apply to? Should it apply to a plumber with three employees? Maybe not. Should it apply to a lawyer writing wills as a sole trader? Probably yes.
I wouldn’t have expected it to go away, not any time soon anyway. The principle that we can diverge from EU market rules where we need to is what was important to achieve, most especially for the vast majority of small, British businesses that never export to other EU countries, and for whom compliance with EU regulations is an unnecessary financial burden. It will take years to unpick, but at least we can do it now.