View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 23:37   #6945
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

It's a test for Amazon, of course I can accept that.

On funding, the metrics of it, we spoke about this before, but think about what Amazon is first and foremost, a retailer. At the most basic level they can flog football shirts, at a more complex level they could use their vast data, to flog far more products and services to football fans and sell that data to third parties, so I wouldn't assume that there would be a £30-40 football sub, it maybe less, more, or none at all.

Where are the customers going to come from, you ask? Simple. If they win the best packages from Sky, it will be Sky customers. Do you think people who are massive football fans would not switch from Sky to Amazon, becuase I think they would. Which leads me to another point and why Amazon or someone else might do this, it knocks the competition out, in fact, it would kill them.

Sky's business model is based on football and from that, all the other stuff like films, Sky Q etc. But it's football first and without it, Sky's whole business would have to change.

As more than half of the country already has a Amazon account, it would not be hard for Amazon to up sell football to those customers wanting it. Or Facebook, or Apple etc.

Finally and I've said before, Amazon are global in nature, so one day it might be PL rights for the UK, next day they might try and get things changed so that they can bid for global rights. There's a lot of Chinese PL fans out there.

Last edited by Horizon; 07-12-2019 at 23:40.