View Single Post
Old 30-10-2019, 16:58   #6672
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
To be fair if you look at the wording in the press release it doesn't ever say exclusive so are media outlets just speculating that HBO Max won't launch in the Countries Sky operates in.
At the Warner presentation, they clearly say they have the deal with Sky to show their content and co-produce for HBO, so going by that and the fact that no mention was made that HBO Max would launch in the UK or Germany and Italy where Sky also operates, I reckon there is zero chance of seeing HBO Max here in the next few years. HBO Max will launch in South America and other parts of Europe, but clearly Warner don't want to upset Sky (Comcast) yet.

It was also disappointing that no other territories were mentioned. Netflix is global apart from China and a few other places, yet HBO Max (which looks great and has superb content) will only be available in some European countries and the Americas, not exactly a global streamer.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I find the use of “pragmatic” and “old ways” quite curious. Old ways could easily be described as tried and tested, established, profitable business models. Delivering content into tens of millions of homes.

I suppose pragmatism can be considered devoid of emotion. I suppose there’s some strong emotions going around that streaming must, at all costs be the future and all other delivery models must cease but when you leave that irrationality behind and follow consumer behaviour a deal with Sky makes business, dare I say economic, sense,
Think back to why this all started and why Rupert Murdoch sold out to Disney.