View Single Post
Old 27-08-2019, 13:00   #1389
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: PM Boris forms a government

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Tell that to Turkish exporters to the EU.

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

Or he has been supplied with duff info. The core issue remains, could they be exported to Thailand or Iceland, but not to the US?
Link

Quote:
Asked if the PM’s claim was “not true”, he added: “Not that I know of, I’m afraid.”
Quote:
Officials pointed to published comments from the firm’s export executive Henry Bowles, in which he said: “Exports currently account for less than 1% of our annual turnover, with small shipments being sent to Iceland, Thailand, Singapore and the Caribbean.”
Puts a very different light on things. The never ending distortion by the media.
You appear to have accidently missed out the preceding lines in your quote...
Quote:
Asked if Mr Johnson was right, Mr O'Callaghan replied: "Not really. With all of these things there is a little bit of give and take. We don't actually export to Thailand or Iceland."

When pressed again, Mr O'Callaghan said: "Not that I know of I'm afraid.

"It is certainly available in Iceland the shop."

Mr O'Callaghan said there was a possibility that pies could be exported frozen to the US or Australia and cooked in the country.

Speaking about trading with the US, Mr O'Callaghan said: "A Melton Mowbray pork pie is a delicate fresh meat product so the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), like most other countries in the world, are very aware of meat products and you have to go through all the regulations to get them over there.
Quote:
However, when contacted by the BBC, Walker & Son - which says it makes and bakes 80% of all of the UK's Melton Mowbray pork pies - said it no longer exports pork pies.

"We are entirely focused on the UK market," a spokeswoman said.

The company said it used to export a "tiny amount" to Singapore - but had not done so "for some time".

"Because of the short shelf life it is not really viable economically."
You would have thought the people who actually make and sell the pork pies would be believed...

Quote:
The BBC also spoke to the British owner of one independent retailer in Singapore, who said they previously stocked pork pies, but that their distributor "unfortunately doesn't do them now, due purely to demand rather than restrictions".
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.