View Single Post
Old 24-08-2019, 16:47   #6182
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You've been saying this for some considerable time and all that seems to move is the date by which your hypothesised Utopia arises.
The date - 2035 - has not changed. Only in your own imagination.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Moreover, digital switchover couldn’t even begin until there existed a free digital terrestrial service that was widely understood to be free. OnDigital and then ITV Digital failed because they looked like just another subscription service and created the impression that it wasn’t possible to get into digital TV if your interests went no further than freely available public service broadcasters.

It wasn’t until the BBC took the lead in rebranding digital terrestrial TV as Freeview that set top box sales began to climb to levels where analogue broadcast switch-off dates could be proposed.

There is a large constituency of TV viewers in the UK who aren’t interested in paying for TV and won’t buy any hardware that’s not essential. They’re never going to buy a fire stick, a Roku, Britbox or Now TV.
Yes, true in a large part. But in the next decade, there won't be so many people left who don't have a connected TV, so they will be able to access the BBC i-Player, All4, ITV Hub and My 5 or their successors. The government only has to make it a mandatory requirement for TV manufacturers to offer these basic streaming facilities to make this work.

My thought on this is there will be just the one service available for this purpose - Britbox UK with ads.If we no longer have TV channels, the i-Player and hubs will disappear.