View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 19:27   #5994
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Ah, back to that old chestnut again.

As said before, they're testing the waters and if the waters are warm, I think they'll jump in, but we won't know for a couple of years until various rights come up for renewal. As an aside, I noticed Amazon has yet another Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/primevideosport?lang=en-gb

I think Amazon will get very serious about sports, but we'll see.
It's hardly an 'old chestnut'. Funding £5bn of rights and making a profit on it is a challenging task for anyone.

If you're the biggest retail company in the world that being the most effective use of £5bn in terms of a return on investment is another question altogether.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
As you know full well, the old media cos don't need to fuel their growth with debt, because they have massive archives of content that they can monetise in the streaming world.

Netflix doesn't have that option.
I do know this, which is why the incumbents aren't in as bad a position as some would portray on this forum.

Netflix on the other hand has to pay for it's content and service the debt. A higher price point than similar services will leave it a soft target in the market.