View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 19:05   #5979
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You come across as a knowall, at least OB is supplying links from various sources which suggest he isn't too far off the mark as regards streaming, you haven't produced anything of note to suggest otherwise!
Various sources that are fundamentally opinion pieces. I linked only last week at how linear remains the most popular viewing type in the UK, despite the vast, vast majority of homes never having to view television in this way if they choose to not.

I'm not sure how you suggest I come across as a know-all. If Old Boy makes a claim he should be able to back it up, all too often it is the case that he cannot and instead links to opinion pieces from digital marketing companies.

Fundamentally people want to watch content and care little for the delivery model. It's a radical transition for the low cost streamers to take the step up - indeed as I've often pointed out Amazon made no meaningful bids in the first round of Premier League rights last time around.

Anyone being objective, rather than having a blinkered fundamentalist view in favour of one delivery model, would see that viewers enjoy the vast range of options available now.

If I modelled iPhone sales in their first five years and that rate of growth was sustainable every single person on the planet would have bought an iPhone in the year 2017. They didn't. Growth reached a plateau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY
Until the bitter end, people like you probably will stick with the scheduled channels, but you ignore the fact that this will not be worthwhile for the broadcasters when the audience levels make it all unviable.
Another straw man. I subscribe to two streaming services and watch minimal television as scheduled. But hey, it's easier to misrepresent my argument and personalise it than realise you're talking about the economic behaviour of 27 million homes in this country and hundreds of millions across the globe.

Quote:
It is only time that will prove me right on this, which I am sure it will (and it is also the conclusion of the media industry) so maybe I should just let you prattle on and the rest of us will draw oir own conclusions.
It's not the conclusion of the 'industry' at all. You've got the BBC 'planning' to do one thing, whether that is realisable on the back of consumer behaviour is another.

Last edited by jfman; 10-08-2019 at 19:10.