View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 15:28   #5884
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
As always speculative visions of the future and cold heard reality can be two different things.

You say "given up the fight" as if anyone strongly feels in favour of what's simply a mechanism for watching television.

You're also assuming, incorrectly, that people who are younger won't prioritise the convenience of broadcast, DVR and operators on demand content when they get older and need to make more effective use of limited time with jobs, families, etc.

People want to improve the quality of their TV, I wholeheartedly agree, but 2% of all streaming being friends I don't think people will see quality where you expect them to.

Netflix are sounding the alarms as we speak on their own future. That's something I couldn't possibly ignore!

The BBC haven't committed to anything as far as I can tell.
I meant that the channels would have given up the fight.

Frankly, I don't know how you can describe scheduled TV as being more convenient, when you have to sit through programmes you don't want to see until your planned programme is on, when there is an inability to have a decent social life and also see the programmes you want to see (unless you go to the trouble of recording them) and when the only way of testing out what you might want to see there and then is through channel hopping, which is usually a bad experience.

If you have a busy life, you want to make your viewing experience count, so I can't see the millenials growing up will change the way they are used to watching TV. And by having all your favourite streamed programmes listed in 'my shows' on one box, what could be easier?

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Gotta love the way you just pluck dates out of the air like that OB. 2035, according to which crystal ball?

Also, this: “We must all remember that old habits die hard. People are so used to just turning on the box and flicking between channels that it is second nature. It seems that there is a substantial proportion of the population that resort to streaming only when they conclude that there is nothing else on worth watching” is essentially the argument I’ve been making to you for about 5 years now, with the minor difference that it’s not a habit, as if it were something inconvenient or antisocial, it’s convenient, because working age people and those with families still value the work broadcasters do in presenting a planned schedule.
2035 is just a random date, Chris. I use it to minimise the number of jibes I kept getting that when I said linear channels would be gone in 20 years, that that prediction would always be 20 years ahead. I made the comment in 2015, so I am sticking to my original prediction that the broadcast channels will be gone by then, 2035. I have drawn attention before to the fact that the BBC is planning on traditional channels disappearing after the next TV licence review, so I don't think I'm a million miles away from the truth.

As I said to jfman above, I don't see anything convenient in watching programmes the traditional way. That wastes so much time..