View Single Post
Old 18-07-2019, 00:57   #5694
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed, as I’ve said before there’s nothing new about streaming as such - it’s still TV delivered by a different method. The basic economic principles apply to streaming as they do to traditional platforms. Content is king and established media companies could have decades of back catalogue available to beef up their offerings for minimal expenditure (royalties).

Netflix need to establish a back catalogue, service $20bn debt and still competitively price their product. That’s a fundamentally broken model by itself.

The value is in the subscriber base and the potential tax efficiencies around the debt to a bigger player in the field. I’d expect Netflix to sail around uncontroversially until swallowed up - I doubt the Premier League can expect a “blow Sky out the water” bid in 2021 from Netflix.

I don't think Netflix were ever interested in bidding for the EPL rights, or am I wrong in saying that?

---------- Post added at 00:57 ---------- Previous post was at 00:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Monday.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Oh dear. Netflix shares down 10%, subscriber growth half what they expected. Subscribers numbers DOWN 130,000 in the United States.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...growth-targets

That’s without all the exciting competition that Old Boy promises us.

Maybe so, but if you read down a bit in that article, Netflix go on to say this,
Quote:
The company blamed its content slate for the miss and said the next quarter, which will include the newly released season of Stranger Things, should be much stronger, with an expected 7 million new subscribers.
I suppose it's easy to take the downside in an article, even when there seems to be an upside too.