View Single Post
Old 23-06-2019, 11:54   #5442
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The launch of new streaming services next year may see the start of that decline.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

British made shows won't disappear when linear channels close down. They will simply be available in another place.
The decline already started which is why Sky don't publish their pay tv subs any more. As of the end of last year, there are more streaming subs in the UK than pay tv ones.

As for British tv shows, this is what I'm most nervous about in a streaming world dominated ultimately by what I believe will be the American tech giants.

Take Netflix's Sex Education as a example. I really like the main actors in that and was looking forward to watching that series when it first popped up on the service. I gave up watching after 20 minutes... Although it's meant to be a British tv show, it's almost pure American in everything about it. I couldn't stomach it.

If British tv shows under American ownership means Americanised, then I think that's terrible for our culture going forward in the streaming world. But we'll see. Netflix also made The Crown, the most expensive show ever to date and that looks very British, but I've not seen it yet, so can't comment.