View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 19:54   #921
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
More conjecture with no evidence whatsoever.

It really is becoming tiresome. I can even see you resorted to throwing up a straw man in there by speculating on whether I think Netflix or Amazon should exist at all! You also make curious use of the word “obviously” and place an easily disputable point after it.
I was only applying your stated economic theory, which I would say is dead in the water!

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Do you ever research anything before posting ?

Designated Survivor was a show originally shown on ABC (linear TV) Seasons 1&2 , Netflix with Entertainment One took over from Season 3 and also has access to the first two seasons.
Last time I looked, we didn't have the ABC channel. Maybe you use nefarious methods to access your content!

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
1. Even OB admits his wife cannot cope with getting onto streaming services (different boxes; changing inputs etc) and I am sure there are millions more who just want to turn on the TV, press a couple of buttons and watch. If all the linear channels go and the ability to simply record and play back on boxes like the V6, how will all those people cope?
2. I accept we must constantly have new programmes produced but the idea that most people only watch newly produced content is ridiculous. Surely a great many channels ONLY show previously viewed content and several are very popular. Dare I say that much of the content on Netflix has been previously shown on linear channels. Having enjoyed series 5 of Line of Duty on BBC, I then watched series 1 to 4 on Netflix, though why BBC programmes are on Netflix and not iPlayer is a mystery to me.
Yes, I have mentioned my wife not feeling comfortable with accessing the streaming services. This really relates more to Hayu and Prime (and Now TV via my Roku).

This is why I have kept bleating on about having access to these services through the V6 box!!!

Do you get what I am saying now?

As for viewing repeated content, I know that some people like to watch what they have seen before time and time again. Sounds like a recipe for brain death to me, but each to his/her own.

If you want to see loads of content shown before, it seems to me that Britbox will be right up your street!

Incidentally, your comment about the ability to record to watch later sounds a bit strange. You do realise that with streaming services, you cut out the need to record, don't you? Just find your programme and click!

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
Not everyone is able for various reasons to watch things first time round. Some things are certainly like to enjoy a second time. Why is there a market for DVD boxsets?
Streaming services have both new and archive material.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This is O.B.’s M.O. ... surely you noticed before now?

You can add to that the other main strand of the arguments presented in this thread and other similar ones, basically “it’s what I like so obviously it’s what everyone else should like”. OB is always right. Experience is everything, remember.
It's just how I see it panning out. Nothing to do with what I want, just what I can see happening before my very eyes.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
More conjecture with no evidence whatsoever.

It really is becoming tiresome. I can even see you resorted to throwing up a straw man in there by speculating on whether I think Netflix or Amazon should exist at all! You also make curious use of the word “obviously” and place an easily disputable point after it.
That's amazing, coming from you! Where's your evidence? If Netfix or Amazon employed you as their economics advisor, they would both have been sunk without trace by now!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 01-06-2019 at 19:57.