Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 17-04-2019, 20:52   #1673
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
The problem is, to misquote, not all young people are created equal. I can't see the majority of the UK unemployed youngsters rushing off to work in factories, hotels, fast food outlets or nursing homes in the Eastern European Countries . . . can you?
It's the fact that the opportunity has been removed. The opportunity to grow, develop and work your way up. Yes, some young will start low and stay there but to be honest, they aren't the ones likely to be mobile. You could say however that old Norman Tebbits' 'get on your bike and find work has become more limited. It's the ones willing to take the risk and reap the rewards that have had that opportunity taken away.

In my twenties, I worked in three countries outside the UK, two of which were thanks to EU freedom of movement. It's a challenge but you get to know about yourself and other cultures and get broader horizons than you get from just living and working in one country. If I am looking at CVs, seeing employment abroad is a big plus for me as I understand the resilience needed to do this. I would be very happy if my kids went abroad to work in a summer job at 18 or something as it makes you a more rounded character.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Is Erasmus the engine behind the EU economy?
No, it's an engine behind the EU economy for the future but not the sole engine. Training the next generation...

Here are some famous Erasmus graduates - http://www.programmallp.it/lkmw_file.../famous_en.pdf