Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 21:46   #1247
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
We are paying £1bn a month into their budget. They need us more than we need them!
You could do worse than to read Katya Adler on the BBC News website. Now that No Deal is staring them down the throat, the unity is starting to crumble (just slightly). What it will come down to is a calculation between which member states will lose most out of a No Deal (Germany) and which stands to gain from acting tough and booting us out (France, i.e. Macron).

You and I both know that the UK Parliament is basically unable and unwilling to draw a line under this. You think that means we’re in for a referendum; I think it is reasonably likely that France in consort with at least one other member state will draw a line under it for us. The French have always known we’d be a spanner in le works. They were right, and should never have undone De Gaulle’s good work in denying us membership in the first place. Maybe now they’ll take the chance to right a historic wrong and veto an extension just as De Gaulle once vetoed our membership.