Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 21:46   #1181
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
we’ve got a deal. A bespoke deal, something that was said we wouldn’t get. But nobody wants it.
Well yes. It's also a sign of how polarised the discussion has become that May's Deal was seen as 'not Brexit'. It was a deal that would have meant that as we're talking right now the UK would not have been a member of the European Union. We would in two years time also be out of the transition period and (almost) completely out of every facet of the EU.

All rejected because either people wanted a closer relationship or because of the backstop. The backstop required as a solution to a problem for which no one else had an answer anyway. Well, most people, in a remarkable stroke of bad luck all those geniuses who had an answer were stuck on radio phone in shows or internet forums rather than in the civil service.

Incidentally go back to when it was about to be voted on and I hesitantly accepted it. I didn't want to Leave and I thought her deal was pretty bad for my view of what the UK should be. However at least it was orderly and helped us move on. However if the ERG + others won't even accept that then why shouldn't Remain strike and take advantage? After all it's never going to stop with these people. Mark Francois will be on television every time the Government tried to compromise in a future trade agreement with the EU bleating on about the referendum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
well it wasn’t Because I was under the impression that A50 stipulated that a WA is required. So i’m Sure it was thought this would happen as a matter of course.
I don't think it did but obviously we wanted one.

And that's the thing with the 'we knew what we were voting for'. I think most people thought we would leave with a deal. That's why they were talking about the German car companies making Germany sign a deal, it's why politicians talked about dealing with each country separately by-passing the EU and it's why the Vote Leave Campaign talked about the deal constantly. The Leave campaign was intentionally vague but pretty much every discussed outcome involved us getting a great deal.

Now thinking we would Leave with a deal but it's not very good so let's Leave without one is a different and valid opinion to hold but that's not the same as all the people who claim to have thought No Deal was what they originally voted for.

Last edited by Damien; 04-04-2019 at 22:01.