Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 16-03-2019, 17:51   #8713
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sorry Angua, but that is a completely crass argument. If MPs are elected on a manifesto commitment, they should not actively work on trying to overturn that commitment.

Your view of things would mean that the electorate would not be able to judge which party to elect on the basis of their manifestos. That would be ridiculous.
So what about Kate Hoey and other Labour MPs who voted against taking No Deal off the table. This was a specific Labour Manifesto pledge, to rule out No Deal.

Our electoral system actually gives the voters Hobson's choice in most cases. Some lucky few vote for who they want as their MP knowing their vote matters, others vote for the person they want despite party manifestos. Others vote to stop what they really don't want, even if that option is only slightly less bad.

Manifestos only seem to be vital when politicians are not doing what you want. - Welcome to my world, I have never been able to vote for an MP I would like, with even a remote chance of my vote making a difference. Still I vote to show how unrepresentative our electoral system is.

Assuming people voted for MPs based solely on Manifestos is where you are missing the point.