View Single Post
Old 25-02-2019, 07:22   #584
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Hang on ... you’re the one who’s been arguing all along that searching for content on streaming services *isn’t* tiresome, and once people get used to searching, the whole experience is so utterly wonderful that linear channels will die horribly.

Surely you’re not finally accepting that it’s a barrier to use, that you have to deliberately engage with a streaming service rather than just tuning in and flopping on the sofa?
If all the content is brought together it certainly isn't tiresome. Nor is it when you are dealing with only one streaming service. But if you are dealing with many, it makes sense to centralise all your searches and watchlists, doesn't it?

You are making it sound like some vision of Utopia that I am promoting. I'm doing no such thing, I'm simply describing what I see as being the future for TV. It will happen, whether we like it or not. Surely you can see what is already happening out there.

Ridiculing the whole notion of the shift to VOD only services in a discussion forum will do nothing to change the way this is moving towards what I have been saying for the last four years.

---------- Post added at 07:14 ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
I use Netflix occasionally but there is so much on it, it takes ages to settle down to watch what you want.
How much better after a hard day to click through your V6 recordings and within seconds watching something good. What a pleasant surprise when a new series of a favourite programme has appeared .
I want watching TV to be easy and relaxing.
Do you never bookmark the shows on Netflix that appeal to you? If you did that, they would be listed in 'My Shows'. Easy peasy.

---------- Post added at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And when you don’t want to devote time to catching up with your favourite dramas, what’s even more relaxing is a linear schedule on a channel whose theme you’re generally interested in. Tune in and enjoy whatever’s there, no stress, no fuss.
Just second rate rubbish most of the time. I guess if you are happy to watch any old junk that is thrown at you together with endless adverts, you will be happy with the present system. Hardly stimulating, though, is it?

---------- Post added at 07:22 ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
We can spend an age trying to find something to watch on it , another point is Netflix Originals are predominately American. most of its British content is third party content from the likes of the BBC and ITV.
If you only want to watch British material, the new successor to Project Kangaroo involving BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and maybe Channel 5 might be the streaming service for you when it is launched. Subscribing to Netflix won't be compulsory - there will be far more choice in the foreseeable future.