View Single Post
Old 23-02-2019, 09:42   #575
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It can survive as long as Sky and/or Virgin Media carry its streaming service on their platforms. It doesn't have to be a conventional channel, though.

Eleven Sports has suffered a serious setback in the UK and frankly I can't see them rowing back from that. However, given their success elsewhere, I wouldn't rule it out altogether.
I access Amazon Prime and Netflix directly on my Samsung TV. I can also access a handful of other streaming apps if I choose. A firmware update later this year should also add Apple TV to the line up. I don’t pay a subscription to Sky or Virgin for any bundles. I just buy what I want and, OB, if the future is truly on-demand as you argue, that’s the only way it’s going to work.

If Sky or Virgin have to bundle streaming services for those services to survive, those services have no more right to survive than the bundled linear channels that only exist because they’re thrust under your nose as part of a bundle.