Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2019, 10:46   #7722
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Honda has three European sites, only one of which is manufacturing which is Swindon the other two in Belgium are predominantly storage/parts.

I think the move to modular platforms by manufacturers will accelerate plant closures globally, you just don't need a plant for a specific model anymore.

As much as I'm a staunch remainer and as much as i would like to blame it, I don't think Brexit is the issue here at all. The automotive industry is going through change the like has not been seen since we transitioned from horse and carriage to the ICE.

Whilst the ICE still has a part to play it's days are numbered. I'm due to change my car this year. I was initially looking at the Touraeg, SQ5 & X5, of which there are multiple heavily discounted examples available. Now, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Model X.

In other words, the technology required is more affordable, manufacturers are reacting to supply and demand from the consumer.

I feel for not only the Swindon workers but also the surrounding supply chain job losses that are also inevitable. I just wonder when Nissan will do the same.