View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 16:28   #54
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Illegal migrants crossing the Channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Before the Maastricht Treaty, the concept of EU citizenship wasn't there. Before then there was only a freedom of movement for workers, and not just anybody from an EU country.
Ah yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citize...European_Union

Quote:
EU citizenship was first introduced by the Maastricht Treaty, and was extended by the Treaty of Amsterdam.[11] Prior to the 1992 Maastricht Treaty, the European Communities treaties provided guarantees for the free movement of economically active persons, but not, generally, for others. The 1951 Treaty of Paris[12] establishing the European Coal and Steel Community established a right to free movement for workers in these industries and the 1957 Treaty of Rome[13] provided for the free movement of workers and services.
Although I wonder if it wasn't really enforced? I've known EU citizens here which predate 1992 but I guess they were working and/or it didn't really matter. The next part of the wiki suggests the right in effect existed before then unofficially.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote