Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 20:11   #4221
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Nothing weakens the EU position at any point. The EU has default positions it can interchange between regardless of what we do.
If the U.K. parliament is intransigent to this deal, why would the EU offer an extension of A50.

To do so would imply they were willing to move their position.

Quote:
If a meaningful Bill is introduced to Parliament
Big .IF.

Quote:
then the EU would be foolish to not allow an extension to allow it to play out.
If such a bill failed to materialise, then my earlier analysis would be correct as no extension to A50 would be offered?

Quote:
It suits the EU to allow an extension for a deal,
if one is on the table.

Quote:
no deal
. No need for an extension in that scenario, we will have taken the gift away from the EU iand just leave.

Quote:
or even remain,
in which case A50 would be withdrawn by us, we don’t need EU agreement for that

No, i’m afraid my interpretation is correct. If the EU offer an extension of A50 it would only be to renegotiate elements of the Withdrawal agreement. They may do it, but they have been intransigent so far, so if they did it would be the first sign of them wilting.

Or they may think that no deal is worth the display of EU unity.