Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 25-11-2018, 10:42   #3718
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That is far too simplistic. Theresa May was not an enthusiastic supporter of 'Remain' and did not throw herself into the debate. In reality, she probably voted to remain to show loyalty to David Cameron.

It is an absolute fallacy to continue to spread this myth that as a remainer she cannot grasp what is needed to leave the EU. I've had to do many things in my time at work that I have not personally believed in and been congratulated for my efforts. Theresa May soon realised that there was a fair bit of fluff flying around from the likes of Boris and realised that she was probably the only one to have a vision of how we could leave without causing too much disruption to business.

TM's assessment was a fair one, although personally, I have little doubt that with the right leadership, we could have made a 'no deal' Brexit work. Either way, we'll get there in the end.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

I agree, and it is pretty clear now I tbink, that the public do just want to get on with it.
At no point did I suggest she cannot grasp what is needed to leave the EU. I think that, as someone in favour of remaining, she can look at it with the cold objectivity required.

Others, mainly on the leave side, lack objectivity and often view it through some outdated view of Empire and nationalist pride. Often demonstrated with wartime terminology, of stances more appropriate to the 19th century than the 21st.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think it will get voted down at the first but then what?

Labour will go 'well, General Election' which won't happen.

There isn't Parliamentary support for a second referendum. There isn't Parliamentary support for a Hard Brexit and the only option remaining for the second group, the MPs wanting to avoid a hard Brexit, is this deal on a second try....
This is when kicking the can down the road becomes a viable option everyone can agree upon.