Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2018, 20:15   #3265
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You see, that's where you are completely wrong. This is not a trade deal, it is the withdrawal agreement. As such, it's a half way house. There's only two things to really bitch about. One is our inability to influence legislation in that 21 month period and the other is the backstop. Both only require tweaks to the withdrawal agreement, and it may be possible to correct these two issues.

However, the trade deal should ultimately give voters what they wanted.

I'm afraid that we have to accept this delay to avoid major disruption (some say) to business.

Of course, blood on the streets was overstated, but people would be very angry indeed and democracy in this country would be damaged if we ended up remaining in the EU.. TM would not allow this to happen, no matter how much some remainers might dream otherwise.
I know this isn’t a trade deal. That’s exactly my point.

My point is this half way house allows the EU to permanently leave us in limbo by not agreeing a future trade deal with solutions to the UK partition of the island of Ireland problem.

You have said a trade deal should give people what they wanted, and it may be possible to solve the underlying issues. It may not, and it’ll entirely be at the discretion of Brussels if it does.

I’d hope before sacrificing a chunk of GDP that a Government would consider the likelihood of both.

Democracy isn’t damaged if you give people a second vote. It’s reinforced. We elect Governments every five years to go back to the country with more information about leaving the EU is entirely democratic.

I understand people will be upset when their dream of leaving sinks for good. An almost equal number will have been upset if we left. That’s unavoidable anyway.

That’s why in the coming weeks and months the PR on the road to remain is carefully being managed. There has to be a growing acceptance that there is no favourable deal, and it’ll cost £39bn to implement it.

Last edited by jfman; 17-11-2018 at 20:21.