View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 15:36   #2600
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You don't have to subscribe to every streamed service anyway. We can pick and choose.
I don't have anything against more choice per se.

However you could end up in a ridiculous situation where content splinters so much that only a tiny number of people benefit from 'new' entrants offering near similar products.

In a hypothetical scenario if all of the major content companies (Disney, Viacom, etc) decide they'd prefer to market their own content at £6-8 per month the vast majority of people would be worse off overall than the status quo.

If Virgin, Sky etc can wholesale the content and an additional standalone service is offered, then that's the best of both worlds. However I fear the streaming future is just going to leave the vast majority paying for a basic TV service, plus three or four add ons, to be worse off while trying to maintain the same quantity/quality of content they have at the minute.

In reality for those who don't want to pay huge amounts the choices have never been better with Netflix, Amazon and Now TV.

I'm not sure what value Lionsgate, Disney, Viacom, etc. would bring to the market with separate standalone offerings that aren't bundled with Sky, Virgin etc.